Wednesday, December 15, 2010

OSC

Today, I wanted to take the time to talk about a wonderful group that I've had the pleasure of being a part of for almost a year: Oratorio Singers of Charlotte (and Chamber Choir).  OSC is the official Choir of the Charlotte Symphony.  So far, we've done everything from Beethoven's 9th to Rachmaninoff's All Night Vespers to Haydn's The Creation.  Our current repertoire is Handel's The Messiah.

Being involved in this group has allowed me to grow in my musicianship.  I've always struggled at sightreading (it's one of the main reasons I never finished my music degree), and I feel like the constant sightreading required of the ensemble has really improved this skill 1000%.  I can pick up a new piece of music and feel confident that, while I still may not get every note right the first time, I will follow right along and confidently carry my part.  I've been slated in this choir as an Alto I, but have also stepped up and sang Soprano I when called on to do so for Holst's The Planets.  We also occasionally get asked to give the tenors a helping hand.  It's really served me well having a large vocal range (the D on the middle of the bass clef to the F above the treble staff).

One of the most amazing parts of this ensemble is its leader: Scott Allen Jarrett.  His ear for the slightest nuances is just spectacular and he always expects (and mostly receives) the highest level of musicianship the group he is directing is capable of performing.  He also has a way of explaining the history and style of a piece of music that really make you understand what the composer was attempting to do.  Another thing that really counts is that he takes time to personally get to know his singers.  In our 130+ member choir, he not only knows everyone's name, but their vocal quality and height (yes, that's important for placing everyone where everyone has a sightline).  I believe that he really makes the ensemble what it is.

So, if you've got nothing better to do (or even if you do - cancel your plans - you're not going to want to miss this), we are singing Handel's The Messiah this Thursday and next Tuesday at the Knight Theatre in uptown Charlotte.  It's definitely a great way to brighten your holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment